Thursday, April 9, 2009

Salton Sea

Outside my cramped Jeep
The morning sky grows lighter
Salton Sea awaits.

Hello!

Another week gone, and more interesting highlights to report. Migration is only beginning to pick up, and new birds are appearing on the site regularly. Especially of note was the appearance of a Black-throated Gray Warbler, a regular for the site but a first for me. We are also regularly seeing Bullock's Oriole, Hermit Thrush and White-crowned Sparrow. Reptile activity remains largely the same, though I have added Long-tailed Grass Lizard to my list. I was fortunate enough to come across another Western Diamondback the other day while I was walking and daydreaming, and he was quite subdued at my intrusion, not even rattling as I observed and passed by.

My day off this week was spent at Salton Sea, a migration mecca in southern California. I picked up 6 life-birds: Black Rail, Black Phoebe, Gull-billed Tern, Burrowing Owl, Eared Grebe and the long awaited American Avocet. There were also a number of new birds for the trip, including both Pelicans, the federally endangered Yuma Clapper Rail, and a number of shorebirds and gulls. I was largely too awestruck with my surroundings to take photos, but I did snap a few. As much as I hate to edit photos, birds are hard, so some of these have been adjusted as indicated.

I arrived at the Sea in the late afternoon. I hiked a short trail at Dos Palmas preserve, then headed down to Salton Sea National Recreation Area to camp (for free, I might add, as long as you leave before the ranger comes by). Before turning in I grabbed a few sunset photos of the sea.

Salton Sea Sunset















Up before the dawn the following morning, so that I could be at Sony Bono National Wildlife Refuge for sunrise. Like most good shorebird and seabird habitat, the area is disgusting. It smells and is not visually appealing...and the birds love it. Lots of pelicans, grebes, ducks, terns, stilts and avocets. Many of the birds seemed quite leery of human presence and moved away quickly, but I did take a couple shots of Eared Grebes, a new bird for me, and the second last North American Grebe I need (Least Grebe, one day...).

Eared Grebe (Podiceps nigricollis) - cropped
















On the way out, there were a couple of Common Ground Doves at the visitor's centre feeder.

Common Ground Dove (Columbina passerina)
















At the southern section of the refuge many of the trails were closed to traffic, and the one trail that was open was not overly productive. It did redeem itself as I returned to the parking lot, with a quick glimpse at a Black Rail, which I flushed out of some vegetation. I also managed to get some shots of a singing Marsh Wren.

Marsh Wren (Cistothorus palustris)
























Back on the beach at the National Recreation Area I was able to pick up a few shorebirds, and as I was walking back to the car I spotted a Zebra-tailed Lizard. He camouflaged so well in the sand that I could hardly find him in my viewfinder, but when he ran he flipped his tail up over his back and flashed the black and white underside.

Zebra-tailed Lizard (Callisaurus draconoides)















To wrap up the day I made another trip to Dos Palmas to do a bit more hiking. Very few birds observed here, but these amazing red dragonflies were about all day. They are large, the size of a king skimmer, and have tinted wings. I think they are an amberwing, but really have no idea.

Flame Skimmer (Libellula saturata)















Anyway, that's all for this time. At last bird count I am at 133 species, including 30 new ones, so no complaints! Hope everyone is well at home!

Kyle

2 comments:

  1. Hi chief - I enjoyed reading your latest blog post and looking at the pictures ( your camera work and new camera continue to impress me). You have also forced me to add to my education. I know know what an endorheic rift lake is and how endorheis basins work ( I plan to work my newfound knowledge into my next socialfunction). I presume you know that 90% of the world's eared grebes are at the Salton Sea. 30 new species so far is pretty impressive. Take care of your self. D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures. Was that a haiku at the top?

    David

    ReplyDelete