Thursday, January 14, 2010

From Costa Rica!

Hello!

I have officially made it to Costa Rica!  It has been a long day - about 15 hours of journeying - but I am here and well.  Much time spent on the plane, where I got seated next to a baby and a two-year-old.  There was much screaming, crying and seat-kicking.  Plus whatever sounds the children were making.  Actually they were pretty well behaved, I can't complain.

Already Costa Rica has caught me a bit by surprise.  Having visited other Latin-American countries I had an image in my head of what I expected.  In contrast to those other countries, in which there is often an air of poverty and wanting, the Ticos seem to be quite well off.  The people here wear fashionable clothes and drive shiny new cars.  The roads are in good shape and there are motorcycles everywhere.  The bikes carry no more than two people and the riders even wear helmets!  The one thing it shares with the rest of Latin-America (as I have experienced it) is scary-as-hell driving.  Whoever designed the traffic system needs a good shake, and the drivers don't make it any better.  The most popular motorcycle is a tiny 150cc model, and lanesplitting is completely accepted as a legitimate traffic maneuver.  But as long as you close your eyes when on the road all is well (hey, it works for the drivers).

I am now sitting in the rooftop bar of Hostel Pangea, enjoying a beer and waiting on some food.  This place is something else - sure some hostels have nice bars and restaurants, but this one also boasts a swimming pool, free WiFi and a host of other amenities, all for $10/night.  This is the view from the bar:

















I will be up and out of here before 6am tomorrow to get the bus to Monteverde, which I'm hoping is simple.  After several days of minimal sleep and this day full of travel, I am more than ready to be at my destination.  My next update will hopefully be from there, though I'm not entirely sure when that will be.

Oh, and for all of you wondering about my first trip-bird (that is, both of you - you know who you are), it was a Great Egret seen from the plane on the way into San Salvador.

Hope everyone is well!
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment