Sunday, August 15, 2010

Misidentifications do happen...

Hello!

It has been brought to my attention that I misidentified a certain critter in an earlier blog post.  A shameful misstep - all I can do is pray for forgiveness.  The creature in question is this one:
















I identified this by default as a Green Frog (Lithobates clamitans).  It was found at an urban park that I have been visiting for years.  The park has some ornamental ponds which typically freeze to the bottom in the winter (making it next to impossible for frogs to overwinter), but attract Green Frogs and Leopard Frogs (Lithobates pipiens) throughout the summer.  I never gave it a second thought until an astute observer pointed out to me (with some relish) that I was wrong!

Although it is by no means a pretty example of either species this beast must be a Bullfrog (Lithobates catesbianus), not a Green Frog.  The primary difference lies in the absence of dorsolateral folds - folds of skin that run from behind the eye towards the rump.  Look at the folds on this Green Frog:
















So I suppose mistakes do happen, and I guess I can live with myself.  At least this will make an interesting submission to the Ontario Reptile and Amphibian Atlas.

Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment