Monday, June 27, 2011

Georgian Bay - Installment #1

Some editing has occurred.  Here's the first batch.

We spent a good bit of time on the first night searching for the Grey Treefrogs that were calling by the campsite. I didn't find any, but fortunately someone had better eyes than me!

Grey Treefrog (Hyla versicolor)















Grey Treefrog (Hyla versicolor)















I also nearly stepped on the tiniest Green Frog I'd ever seen!

Green Frog (Lithobates clamitans melanota)















We didn't find very many reptiles the following day, probably because of the rain and cool temperatures, but we did see this cool robber fly!

Robber Fly (Family: Asilidae)















On the second day we did find a few snakes in the fleeting moments of sun, one of which was this stumpy Brown Snake.  She was missing pretty much all of her tail, but seemed to be doing really well.  She looked quite robust and healthy!

Northern Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi dekayi)















That's it for now, installment #2 is on the way!

Kyle

3 comments:

  1. Nice pictures Kyle. Enjoying your posts. How do you convince your snakes to stay so posed for you. Anything I ever see is already flying away as I see it, never mind getting great photographs you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brian! While I do shoot snakes in situ whenever possible, I also occasionally manipulate them slightly (or in this case, ask a willing friend). In this instance I found the snake under a board, and he was "cupped" gently for a few shots then sent on his way. Everyone has their own opinion on this, but it is fairly common practice in herp photography. The animal's welfare is always number 1 of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess there are only a few groups of animals (or even certain snakes for that matter) you can do that with! :)

    ReplyDelete