Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Algonquin Weekend

I had the good fortune to merit an invitation to the Camp Arowhon Nature Weekend  last weekend, and had a blast!  Arowhon is nestled neatly into Algonquin Park, which is always an exciting place to spend some time.  Spent much of the time leading walks and socializing, but I did manage to grab a few photos here and there.

Algonquin Park - Teepee Lake morning















Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipter striatus)





















Spruce Grouse (Falcipennis canadensis)















Spruce Grouse was an awesome surprise, as although I have seen it in Newfoundland, I have tried for this bird in Ontario many times without success!  Always nice to conquer a longtime nemesis.

Kyle


2 comments:

  1. Great shot. These "fools hens" as they are known locally here in Minnesota are much rarer in the Arrowhead (Boundary Waters) that they used to be. I would see them when roughed grouse hunting. They were very tame thus the name...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They certainly don't make too big a point of avoiding people...I can't imagine they'd be too difficult to hunt!

    ReplyDelete