Thursday, November 1, 2012

The winter approaches

It seems that every year around this time, my photography season begins to wind down.  Everything is turning brown and the reptiles, amphibians and bugs are hibernating, or generally escaping the impending cold.  It always leaves me feeling a bit listless...

At any rate, it does give me a bit of time to sort through the looming pile of photos that I never had time to edit in the summer.  Today, it's a few miscellaneous South Africa photos from the giant stack.  Here they are!

First, a really exciting shot for me.  I had always wanted to see a monitor in the wild, and we were fortunate enough to find a handful!  The Nile Monitor does not disappoint - big, powerful and gorgeous.  Everything I expect a monitor to be!

Nile Monitor (Veranus niloticus)















Secondly, the most hideous creature in all of Africa - the Tsessebe!  Evolution has kindly shaped this animal into something too ugly to eat, or at least that is the only explanation I can imagine for it.  Don't be fooled, it's not sick or emaciated, it's just a Tsessebe.

Tsessebe (Damaliscus lunatus)















And lastly, an insect (what's a blog post without bugs?).  Since many of the parks in South Africa require you to stay in your car (and with good reason), I didn't get the opportunity to shoot many insects.  I can only imagine that the country is full of fascinating, six-legged critters, and I wish I had the opportunity to see more of them!

Locusts (unknown species)















That's all for now!
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment