Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Sometimes things just work...

Haven't posted on the blog in forever - it's been a busy summer!  I'm way behind (as usual) in photo editing, but figured I'd better put one up here before Blogger closes my account :).

Here's a recent shot that I was really pleased with...not because it's a fantastic photo, but because of the circumstances surrounding it.  The small, brown, forest butterflies (Wood-Nymph, Eyed Brown, Pearly-Eye, etc) are always challenging subjects.  They are fast and flighty, rarely land (and even more rarely in opportune photographic locations) and tend to hang out in dark places.

When hiking recently in Silent Lake Provincial Park I spotted an Eyed Brown landing on a tree nearby, about 8 feet off the ground.  The canopy was very heavy and the day was overcast, so the conditions were really dark.  Using the flash meant that I would likely only get one shot, as the creature would likely take off in response to the burst of light.  So I took a good guess at the exposure, prepared the flash and crept towards the tree.  I leaned against the trunk, pointed the lens straight up, focused and fired.  Sure enough, the butterfly took off and I was left waiting till I got home to see if it worked.

Turned out not too shabby :).

Eyed Brown (Satyrodes eurydice)

No comments:

Post a Comment