Sunday, September 5, 2010

What's going on?

Hello!

Two updates in the same week??  You must think you've fallen down a rabbit hole.  Most significantly, this means I've actually been outdoors twice this week!  Excellent.

Went birding today, and found some other cool stuff along the way.  Couldn't keep the macro lens off for long, but did manage to shoot at least one bird.  Everyone's favourite:

Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)















I really was looking for birds when I came upon this lovely Viceroy, a species which has eluded my lens several times of late.

Viceroy (Limenitis archippus)















I swear I was also looking for birds when I stumbled upon this Question Mark.

Question Mark (Polygonia interrogationis)















Continuing on the now-established butterfly theme, I spotted these two Eastern Tailed Blues.  And yes, they are doing what you think they're doing...

Eastern Tailed Blue (Cupido comyntas)

























A few more bugs, just to round things out.  This cool (presumably Ichneumonid) wasp:

Unknown Wasp (Ichneumonidae?)















And this awesome caterpillar.  If anyone knows what it is, let me know!  I thought he was a Yellow Bear at first, but now I'm not so sure...

Unknown Caterpillar















Though they may not be adequately represented in the photos, I did actually see some birds today.  About 4 hours in the Hamilton area produced 13 species of waterfowl, Short-billed Dowitcher, Solitary Sandpiper, Baird's Sandpiper, Carolina Wren and lots of other common stuff.  All-in-all a great day!

Cheers!
Kyle

1 comment:

  1. That ring-bill totally looks like he's judging me when I look at that photo. Like he knows my secrets and disapproves :S

    ReplyDelete