Monday, August 29, 2011

Northern Two-lined Salamander

I am waaay behind on photo-sorting as usual!  A couple of weekends ago I made it to Haliburton County with my father in search of one of the few Ontario amphibians I've never seen - the Northern Two-lined Salamander.  I had some good intel on where I might find one (thank you friend!), so I was feeling lucky.

While searching, we did manage to find another amphibian that I had yet to see this year - a Mink Frog!

Mink Frog (Lithobates septentrionalis)  See more...















We also stumbled across some of the most interesting American Toads I've seen, including some very orange ones.

American Toad (Anaxyrus americanus)  See more...















However, in spite of our small frog victories, hours of searching in the rain failed to produce the salamanders.  We decided to throw in the proverbial towel, but as we walked back towards the car we stopped by a promising stream for the third time that day, just in case.  This turned out to be an excellent decision!

Northern Two-lined Salamander (Eurycea bislineata)  See more...















A glorious day indeed.

More photos to come soon, I promise!

Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment