Friday, December 2, 2011

Random Photos

Well it has definitely been a slow fall for blog posts - I blame that on my real job and a daunting stack of unsorted photos.  I have started to sift through this aforementioned stack, and some of the results can be seen here.

On another note, I am gearing up for some time out of country - a week in the Dominican Republic with the family over Christmas, and the 2.5 month journey to southern Africa that I posted about earlier.  I am hopeful that both will deliver some excellent opportunities for good photos and stories to match.  I am long overdue for a shake-up, and can't wait to get going!

Anyway, on to the photos.  The first is an odd one that has been sitting in my "To Sort" folder for months, mostly because I'm not sure what to do with it for several reasons.  Firstly, I'm unsure of the species, though my educated guess is Sweetflag Spreadwing.  Secondly, the picture also features some mysterious white orbs (on the stem, under the damselfly), and I have no idea what they are.  I have asked a few knowledgeable folks, and they have been stumped as well.  I don't know if they are associated with the damselfly at all, or if it is simply a coincidence that they are together.  If anyone can solve this mystery, please let me know!  Also of note is the cluster of red mites attached to the underside of the spreadwing.

Sweetflag (?) Spreadwing (Lestes forcipatus)















The second shot is another that fell by the wayside because it took more than 10 seconds to identify (and I'm sometimes lazy).  One of several plain, brown butterflies that lives here in southern Ontario, the Northern Pearly-Eye.  Distinguishable - it turns out - from the others by the reduced or absent second (from the front) spot on the forewing, especially noticeable from the underside (because I know you were wondering...)

Northern Pearly-Eye (Enodia anthedon)















This next one was a surprise find and a bit of a mystery.  I was herping in Simcoe County with a couple of friends, and one of them turned over a rock and uncovered this moth.  It certainly appears to be to be a Virgin Tiger Moth, but what I can't reconcile is that the forewing pattern is distinctly pinkish-orange, instead of the usual yellow.  I haven't seen a lot of these moths, so I don't know if this is a normal variation or if it's unusual.  Alternately, it is a different but similar species of which I am unaware.  I don't own a good moth book (necessary future investment) and have not been able to figure this out.  I was able to push the forewing aside, and it did have the red hindwing pattern that I associate with Virgin Tiger Moths (though apparently I was not smart enough to document this photographically).

Virgin (?) Tiger Moth (Grammia virgo)















The last shot for today was a quick grab-shot I took while looking for snakes in Norfolk County.  It was sweltering hot, we were out in a field, and we were skunked for snakes.  This little butterfly landed in front of me and, being unsure of its identity (and knowing I had not photographed one before), I started snapping.  I got three shots before it flew away - two were blurry, so this is now my only photo of an American Copper.

American Copper (Lycaena phlaeas)















Well that's it for today, but it feels good to have made a dent in the pile of photos - hopefully it'll motivate me to do more soon!  I'll also get some details up about the upcoming travel as the preparations progress!

Kyle

2 comments:

  1. That is quite the shot of the dragonfly and the other items on the stem, along with the tiny bugs on the bottom of the dragonfly. Did you notice any or all of them before or after the picture?
    Make sure you let us know if you find out what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't notice them until I looked at the picture after! I recognize the little red mites, they commonly occur on damselflies and a variety of other insects, but the white orbs are a complete mystery to me! I will be sure to spread the word if I find an answer :).

    ReplyDelete