Friday, March 13, 2009

Grand Canyon

Hello!

So this will be my first post on the blog. I have no idea if I will be able to update this regularly or not, but I will give it a shot. I arrived in Arizona yesterday after 3 days and 4000 kilometers, sore and tired. I parked the Jeep at a campsite in Grand Canyon National Park (which I got away without paying for), and crashed in the back, with the alarm set for sunrise. I awoke early and stationed myself at a spot on the rim to wait for the sun. Here are a few of the results:

Grand Canyon at Sunrise















Grand Canyon at Sunrise















I followed up the morning photography session with a 15 km hike into and out of the canyon, which was very cool but with limited shooting opportunities. I came out of it very sore and tired, and somewhat happy with the photo below:

Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus)
























My afternoon was spent on a crazy chase for California Condors, following the advice of an old man I met in the park. Though he seemed to know what he was talking about, I was quite unsuccessful and am now in a Motel6 in Flagstaff, having a relaxing night in a real bed. The plan for tomorrow is a leisurely drive down towards the study site, and reporting to the house the following day. That's all for now, I will try to post when I can!

Kyle

4 comments:

  1. Yay!! You made it (at least part way). Lovely shot of the Towhee.

    - V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the pictures, chief - terrific shot of the towhee D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buddy - the hotel area on the southern rim is THE SPOT for those condors! It just doesn't seem right that I've seen them and you haven't!
    It seems their instincts tune them in on large herds of animals. They just wait for one to die... or fall off the edge! People are the only large herds in the area! When you get back to the Canyon, head right for the tourist (AKA food) areas! :D

    ReplyDelete