Saturday, March 21, 2009

Update Week One

Hello all,

Sorry no photos on this update, I have been lazy I guess, or just not gotten around to taking any. Just wanted to fire up a quick update to let everyone know that I'm still alive. Internet access here requires a half-hour drive, so I imagine I'll only be able to update this about once-a-week or so.

Anyway, first week has been good. The weather has been unseasonably hot, but I guess I can't complain. We have spent much of the first week banding which has been nice for me. I didn't realize how much I'd missed it. It is almost a pity that I will be shifting to foraging observations and colour band resighting in the next week or so, but I am excited to work on my observation skills and spend more time exploring the study site

Wildlife sightings have been good so far. Since leaving Ontario I have picked up 15 new bird species, with highlights including Vermilion Flycatcher, Inca Dove, Abert's Towhee, Curve-billed Thrasher, Crissal Thrasher, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Verdin, Lesser Goldfinch, Ladder-backed Woodpecker and Western Scrub Jay. There are tons of lizards running around that I have yet to get down and dirty with, and the other day I saw my first Western Diamondback. I have been informed that other snakes at the study site include Rosy Boa, Western Hognose and California Kingsnake, so I am naturally optimistic.

Well, that'll be it for now. My first day off is rapidly approaching, so hopefully I get off my lazy ass and take some photos. Hope everyone is well!

Kyle

2 comments:

  1. My lifelist includes a California kingsnake and western diamondback and that Scrub Jay- but none of the other reptiles you named... avian or otherwise... I'm starting to really ENVY you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, well that makes me feel good :P. Interestingly, turns out Western Hogs don't occur anywhere near the site, so I assume that she meant Hooknosed Snake. She is not really a reptile person...

    ReplyDelete