Sunday, April 24, 2011

It Begins... (finally)

Well, with a slight increase in the temperature, I decided to try my luck at frogs the other day (Friday).  Sadly, the frogs were mostly quiet.  I did hear a few Chorus Frogs calling intermittently, but was unable to track them down.  Just as I was starting to head back to my car in disappointment, I turned up a very unexpected critter!

Four-toed Salamander (Hemidactylium scutatum)















Four-toeds are a reasonably uncommon and hard-to-find species throughout Ontario, so it's a nice one to nail down early in the season.  Although he looks like the more-common Redback Salamander, the constriction at the base of his tail and his spotty belly (see below) give him away.

Four-toed Salamander (Hemidactylium scutatum)















They're not exactly award-winners, but photos nonetheless!  I'm hoping this means the drought has ended, and there will be many more photos to follow.

Check back soon!
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment