Monday, April 25, 2011

Species Number 2!

Well I may be off to a slow start, but I have now photographed two species!  Only forty-something to go :).

I went slogging for peepers the other day, and despite hearing many was not able to nail one down for a photo.  Here's the habitat I was wading through:

Frog Habitat















Wading thigh-deep at this time of year is chilly business!  I wasn't the only one who was cold though.  I came upon a number of Wood Frogs, and hardly recognized them at first!  At this temperature their skin becomes very dark, apparently to aid in thermoregulation (dark things warm up faster!).

Wood Frog (Lithobates sylvaticus)















I didn't notice until editing this photo that the poor guy is falling victim to a mosquito!  Even the frogs aren't safe.

I also stumbled across an egg mass (of which there will soon be many!).  Not sure on the species (I guess I don't know my egg masses), so I can only narrow it down to the 4 that were present in the pond - Wood, Leopard, Chorus and Peeper.

Egg Mass















Gotta love that underwater point-and-shoot!  Anyway, that's all for now.  More soon!

Kyle

1 comment:

  1. Good start to this quest, chief. I didn't expect you to get any in April. Much as I would like to participate in this odyssey, I'm not unhappy about missing a wade in the swamp in early spring. D

    ReplyDelete