Friday, June 29, 2012

Ignatius Butterflies

Had the day off today, and headed out to the Ignatius property north of Guelph in the hopes of adding a few butterflies to my library.  I was in luck, and managed to snag 4 species that I hadn't shot before!  The farmed area of the property offers some opportunities at species not always seen in the rest of the city.  Here are a few of the shots:

To start, one of my very favourite butterfly species - a Buckeye.  This is primarily a southern species, and Guelph is getting towards the northern extent of their range.  Look at those eyespots!

Common Buckeye (Junonia coenia)















The next species is one that I almost never see in the area.  Maybe I'm not looking hard enough!

Baltimore Checkerspot (Euphydryas phaeton)















I have seen a bit of an influx of Painted Ladies recently so I was really hoping to nail one down.  No American Ladies at the moment, but I'm checking!

Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui)















The last two species are both small butterflies that I see often, but that I often pass by and never think to settle down and photograph.

Clouded Sulphur (Colias philodice)















Summer Azure (Celastrina neglecta)















That's all for now - go out and see some butterflies!

Kyle

1 comment: