Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Arboretum fun

Took a stroll at the Guelph Arboretum the other day (one of my favourite local spots) and had some luck with a few unexpected species.  The first was a nesting snapper - definitely a new series of photographs for me.  Very cool!

Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina)















Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina)















Although my primary goal for the day was dragonflies, the butterflies ended up being more cooperative.  Lots of species around - here are three.

Common Ringlet (Coenonympha tullia)















Northern Crescent (Phycoides cocyta)















White Admiral (Limenitis arthemis)















After the Arb I moved over for a stroll along the Eramosa River, and my eagle-eyed friend Jenn spotted this awesome crab spider with prey.  Thanks for the stellar spot and plant wrangling!

Goldenrod Crab Spider (Misumena vatia)















That's all for now!
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment