Monday, May 24, 2010

Updates!!

Hello!

I was recently reminded (probed...jabbed...) that I hadn't updated in a while.  Fortunately, I finally got out this weekend to do some photography.  Kind of a long post, so stick with it!  First, Ontario's only lizard:

Five-lined Skink (Eumeces fasciatus)















Moving on to the more avian reptiles, some Black-crowned Night-Herons with hilarious hairdos:

Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)















Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)

























Like many patriotic Canadians, my Victoria Day was spent out looking for herps!  The perfect way to spend a holiday.  Salamanders were the primary target, and they did not disappoint.  It's been suggested that the Red-backed Salamander is Ontario's most common vertebrate, though I'll bet most Ontario residents have never seen one.  Too bad, as they are really pretty.

Red-backed Salamander (Plethodon cinereus)

























Red-backed Salamander (Plethodon cinereus)















Red-backed Salamander (Plethodon cinereus)















Red-backed Salamander (Plethodon cinereus)















The next salamander I came upon is an odd one - a genetic complex of two species.  The Jefferson's and Blue-spotted Salamander hybridize (in the least straightforward way conceivable) and are essentially indistinguishable in the field.  This has resulted in the two often being referred to collectively as the Jefferson's Complex (great name for an 80's rock band...).

Jefferson's Complex (Ambystoma laterale x jeffersonianum)















When I found my second Ambystoma of the day he had a surprise in store for me.  Presumably alarmed at my presence, he lifted his tail in the air and began waving it back and forth.  I have never encountered this behaviour before, and am not entirely sure if/how it would deter a predator.

Jefferson's Complex (Ambystoma laterale x jeffersonianum)















When herping, I always manage to find some other interesting creatures.  So, here's a couple of bugs I ran into in between salamanders.

Crane Fly (Tipulidae)















Millipede (Diplopoda)















That's all for now, hopefully I get out taking more photos sometime soon!

Kyle

3 comments:

  1. That's a fantastic skink shot -- but that defensive blue spot is absolutely amazing. I've seen that behaviour, but never seen it photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you Steve - I had never seen it at all. Can't see how it's effective...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's very threatening to would-be predators!

    ReplyDelete