Sunday, July 18, 2010

Odes!

Hello!

Where does the time go between blog posts?  I guess I have been a bit busy working on some big developments (more on this later).  At any rate, I have finally pulled a post together.

I spent some time this weekend chasing Odonates (or just Odes, if you want to throw some lingo around and sound cool at a party).  Dragonflies and Damselflies are amazing creatures, and there are tons around if you just take the time to look!  I have spent some intimate time with dragonflies in the past, but have been focussed a bit more on damsels recently.  Which is frustrating cause they're so difficult to ID!  Damselfly experts prepare - there will be a lot of question marks in the post (not the butterfly!).

Here goes:

Oh bluets, how I despise thee.  Here are three bluets which may or may not be the same species.  Actually they may or may not be bluets...

Bluet #1















Bluet #2















Bluet #3















Here's a few that I know (I think)!

Ebony Jewelwing















Eastern Forktail

























Here's one I haven't the faintest clue about...

Who am I??















Here's a damselfly that looks a lot like a frog (couldn't help myself).

Northern Leopard Frog















And to finish off, a few dragonflies (soo much easier!).

Widow Skimmer















Yellow-legged Meadowhawk















Calico Pennant















And sure enough, just when you think you know something, doubts begin to creep back in.  I'm going to take a leap at this one and say...

Red-waisted Whiteface?















Alright all you Odonate experts - go ahead, make me look silly.  Seriously, I would love it if anyone could ID the unknowns or correct the knowns :).  The field guide is on the way, but until then it's a bit of a guessing game!

That's all for now.  Until next time...

Kyle

1 comment:

  1. I do believe your last dragonfly is a Blue Dasher...I thought the meadowhawks and whitefaces all had dark solid eyes. I'm assuming its small in size.
    Didn't get anywhere with the damsels. Buggers.

    ReplyDelete