Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Finally Some Herps!

Hola!

At long last, I have seen some herps (in addition to the tiny frog from yesterday).  Both found by employees here at the gardens.  The first, a large salamander with no common name.

Bolitoglossa robusta















It looks a bit shabby, but that's because it was dug up by workers here and I had no non-chlorinated water to rinse it with.

The second find of the day was a Neotropical Ratsnake that our manager found while on a tour.  Knowing that I love snakes, she bagged it and brought it back for me.  I tried for some in-tree photos and the crafty serpent quickly climbed out of my reach.  So not great photos, but a cool snake nonetheless.

Neotropical Ratsnake (Elaphe triaspis)















The good life continues here in CR.  First day off tomorrow so I am planning some local exploring, should be fun!

Cheers!
Kyle

5 comments:

  1. Your salamander would go by the common name Robust Climbing Salamander. Your rat snake has been in the genus Senticolis (for 30 yrs). Both would be lifers for an ecstatic me if I were there.

    Have an amazing time buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 30 years? Then why, in my shiny new field guide, is it Elaphe? All new world rats will remain Elaphe in my mind until I am convincingly persuaded otherwise. Also that field guide frequently withholds common names from me :(.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you need a snake wrangler for your photography sessions, wish I was there!
    How large is this salamander? And was it climbing anything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A snake wrangler would definitely have been helpful! The salamander was about the size of a big Blue-spot, and nope, not climbing.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was slightly incorrect. The change was made in 1987 - 23 years ago, split from Elaphe with the genus Bogertophis (subocularis). This isn't part of the whole rat snake split-up it was way before that and has been widely accepted. Anyway, as they say, a rose by any other name... and that sure is one sweet sighting!!

    ReplyDelete