Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I love the night life!

Hola!

The crazy wind continues to keep the birds down and thus make me sad, so last night I took a different tactic to view the local wildlife.  After dinner we grabbed the headlamps and went spotlighting.  In the mammal department we came across a couple of possums (not sure on the species), but the bugs were the real hit of the night.  It was misting rain, so I grabbed my new waterproof point-and-shoot for its first real trial.  I am having a lot of fun experimenting with it, and am pretty happy with how it works.

The main nighttime insect here is Katydids, of several varieties.  Many mimic leaves in one way or another, such as this Bush Katydid

Bush Katydid
















I tried several ways to get photos showing the incredibly long antennae on these bugs.

Bush Katydid
























Lots of Harvestmen around here as well.  Found this guy hanging on to a drop of water.

Harvestman
















We also turned up a bunch of small frogs, which I have yet to identify.  I have a bunch of photos, so I will break out the field guide soon and figure it out.

Unidentified Frog
















There were plenty of spiders around as well, and I marked the burrow of a huge Orange-kneed Tarantula, which I couldn't quite get with the point-and-shoot.  Hopefully more photos to come!

Cheers!
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment