Friday, January 29, 2010

Sadly no photos...

Hola!

Sadly, no photos today.  I did go the the Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve yesterday, but was so preoccupied with trying to see and identify all the birds that I really didn't break out the camera!  This seems to be a general problem here, and I am remiss in not having taken very many photos.  I am resolving to remedy this situation (though as I type this an incoming rainstorm threatens my resolve - here's hoping it doesn't last).

I did, however, have a lovely visit to the Preserve, which is world renowned for its birdlife.  It is rather expensive though ($17USD) and fairly crowded on some of the more popular trails.  Nevertheless I did see 17 new bird species yesterday, so $1 per bird seems like a fair deal.  I think the key is to go very early (ie. before 6am) and I didn't get there until a bit later, so I wonder if more species could be seen with an earlier start.  The complicating factor is that it is a 7km walk from here to get to the entrance (about 22 total kms walked yesterday, at least half uphill!)

Anyway, highlight new species include Orange-bellied Trogon and a variety of warblers, wood-creepers and hummingbirds.  No Quetzals though, so perhaps a return is in order.  The Preserve is also known for its herplife, though I'm not sure where they hide it.  I saw no herps yesterday, save for one tiny brown lizard (less than 3cm with tail) scurrying off the path.  I've really got to dig up some reptiles!

In other news, I sent an inquiry to whatsthatbug.com and have made the website!  Still no definitive answer though, but I'm working on it.  See the post here:

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2010/01/28/unknown-owlet-moth-from-costa-rica/

That's it for now.  Mission Get More Photos begins today!

Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment