Sunday, January 24, 2010

Toucans and Parrots and Motmots oh my!

Hola!

There has been a shift in the weather here at Monteverde, and I am amazed how a slight weather change brings about a huge change in the bird life.  The wind has disappeared, and I now regularly see White-fronted Parrots, Keel-billed Toucans, Emerald Toucanets, and a host of other new and exciting species.  The first day that the Toucans appeared, I think I missed dozens of other birds because of my distraction with these amazing creatures.  I also had a day off recently where I hiked up into the cloud forest and saw a bunch of interesting birds.  Aside from the parrots and toucans, recent highlights include:Squirrel Cuckoo, Bat Falcon, two Bush-Tanagers, two Nightingale-Thrushes, two Redstarts, Streak-headed Woodcreeper, White-eared Ground-Sparrow and Gray-headed Chacalaca.

On the photo front I have come up against an expected challenge.  Under the canopy, bird photography is nearly impossible without an external flash.  That is definitely on the must-have list for the future.  This leaves me with only birds in open spaces.  Macro photography, however, is quite possible and I'm really hoping to find some more herps to shoot!  Here are a few photos from the last few days:

Millipede















Katydid















A distant shot of a Keel-billed Toucan, just because I was so excited to see one!

Keel-billed Toucan (Ramphastos sulfuratus)

















Squirrel Cuckoo (Piaya cayana)
























Gray-headed Chacalaca (Ortalis cinereiceps)
























That`s it for now, I will post again soon!

Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment